Nuffnang

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lessons well learned from watching TV.

Have you ever noticed how parents use to scorn at their children when their little kids are glued to the television set?? Or do you not remember how your parents banned you from watching TV?
-“it’s weekdays now, no TV for these days….go study….”
-“Are you going to be a TV addict???!!”

Little do we know, or realise that, from watching TV dramas and others, including documentaries, we are actually taught some aspect of life, if not, some additional knowledge. Television is really not that bad after all.

I realise this, when I stayed over in Hun Sze’s house, and her mum made it clear to me on how she brought up her children, and how she’ll sit with them, watching Hong Kong dramas…and how she tried to relate certain events to their daily life. I was, basically, quite unamused by it. Because, I never believe that anything good can come out from being attached to that box.

But recently, I realised otherwise.
Few days ago…I kept myself occupied watching “13 Going 30”, it’s a movie that has been long shown, starring Jennifer Garner. It’s an obsolutely heart touching love story. But of course, the moral of the story was more of something else. However, it made me realise, there are lots of decisions to make in life. And just a slight mistake, could affect oneself tremendously, causing emotional scar, having to carry a baggage with you, for your entire life. Living with the truth that nothing will ever be the same again. Of course, in the case for Jennifer Garner, she sure was a lucky babe, as she could turn back to 13, and have everything changed again. Fact is, in reality, there is only the future, and no turning back. No such thing as ‘what if’, no such thing as ‘why wouldn’t it be like this..or like that’, but to learn to stand up, face it, and walk, one step at a time….holding on to the hope, that you’ll see sunlight again.

Talking about learning lessons from dramas, I sort of recall, this Singapore series I watched before I came here. It is called “Little Nyonya”. I wouldn’t say it is a darn fantastic series, though I was glued to the screen the entire time, but it sent out quite reasonable life lessons that I think, for a moment, I did benefit from it.
The main actress was madly in love with the main actor (of course), but with lots of barriers in between, though at last, he pursued her till the end, she didn’t choose him. I gotta admit it, that I don’t quite like the ending, because, up until now, I don’t get it, why the girl refused the guy, when at the end, the circumstances, do allow them to be together.
But this statament made by the girl in one episode hit hard on me.
“ The one you love, may not be the one who treats you well.
And the one who treats you well, may not be the one you love”
She was basically referring to her sister’s choice of marrying the guy she loves soo much, yet he loathed her, and refused to even talk to her properly.
While also explaining her choice of marrying the Ang Moh guy inside who treats her very well, and yet, is not the one she loves.

Life sure evolves in a very weird way in spite of us trying to make the best out of it, and see the most positive side of it, we will stil end up hurt no matter what.

4 comments:

Q said...

This article may be of interest - http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_50a664c90100f98f.html
It was originally from a book. It's also at other web sites. Might shed some lights on the why's to the last part of your blog entry.

Erny said...

Hi Q, or whoever you are:
I check that link out, and yes, I have personally heard of that story before.It sorts of serve as a mean of consolling oneself, but highly unlikely to be entirely believable, no?
But, yes, maybe in a way, it does help. Thanks a lot.

Q said...

That was just a article which illustrates an aspect of the karma or the cause and effect. You may take it as religious belief, philosophy or just a story of consolling. At any rate, it is extremely difficult for us layman to understand the karma.

If one can be like the sky, clear, broad and empty. Let the white cloud (happiness, etc) comes and goes. Let the black cloud (sadness/bitterness, etc) comes and goes. Then one's mind is unhindered.

Hope this colours up. :-)

Erny said...

I like what you wrote in the last part.
Very true indeed...:-)
Thanks and cheers!